CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 10, 2009

A brief thought.

So I'm browsing the online version of the International Encyclopedia of Sexuality for my IDC class ("Cross Cultural Sexuality"- it was the only one that worked in my schedule) and I decide to take a look at the section on United States abortion statistics. I think I wanted to see the tone that this thing has- how unbiased it is, I guess.

I read the following:
"They (abortion rights activists) believe that a woman can never be free unless she has reproductive control over her own body."
"Free"? Are they guaranteeing their freedom by setting this baby free of its earthly bonds? I don't feel oppressed because I have to obey the law. I don't think that the government is being sexist when it says that I'm not allowed to rob a bank, even though it would be convenient and helpful for me if I had money to make my life easier. I don't think that it's logical for a woman to feel oppressed if the government should say that since she had a part in creating a new life, she shouldn't be allowed to dispose of it for her own convenience.

I should have stopped there. But I kept reading. I came across this opening to a paragraph:
"The recent murders of physicians and staff at abortion clinics, arson and bombing of abortion clinics, and the blocking of abortion clinics by anti-abortion protesters have contributed to women’s difficulty in receiving this still-legal medical procedure."

Whoa. Murders, arson, bombings....sounds really violent, doesn't it? Almost like every neighborhood with an abortion must look like a war zone. If you didn't have me here to explain things to you, you might think that there have been hundreds of abortion "doctors" murdered by deranged pro-lifers. That buildings must be blowing up every day, that the streets of these towns must be filled with chaos and carnage. Right?

Guess how many abortionists have been murdered in our country (arguably the country with the most heated debate between abortion opponents and proponents).

Seven.
Seven crazy people killed seven medical professionals who provide death on demand.

Now, these people were not justified. Killing is wrong, period. And how much sense does it make to combat murder with more murder? But...seven. Forty million children put to death since 1973, versus seven recorded murders in our country's history.

Which side is supposed to be the violent one again?

0 comments: