CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 14, 2008

Difficulties

I have a prayer request. But before I get to the request, I must give you some background information.

I am about to start my junior year of college, and Brandon is about to start his senior year. This gives him eight months between his graduation and our planned wedding date to get a "real" job (i.e. a job in his chosen career, rather than working at Autozone. Not that there's anything wrong with that- it's just that it's temporary). He is planning on being an actuary. There aren't a lot of these jobs available, because it's kind of a specialized math-y kind of field, I guess you could say. There are five tests that one must take to be a senior actuary kind of person, and it could take you twenty or thirty years to achieve this. Most companies are willing to pay for you to take these tests, because it benefits them (each of the tests costs more than $100 to take).
Brandon has not taken any of these tests. This is understandable as he is a full-time student, and works part time elsewhere. Most people, when they first start out as an actuary, have not taken any of the tests. But they have had an internship or two. Brandon has not had any. This past spring we filled out some stuff online for a company, and they contacted him but said they didn't have any work then. To me, it sounded a little like the "don't call us we'll call you" brushoff.

Today I was having a "discussion" with Brandon about this whole career thing. I will admit that I got a little emotional but I wasn't mean (yay me). I expressed my concern that he will not be able to get into this kind of job in time for us to have the money for somewhere to live, etc., when we get married. It has become a fear of mine that he will still be at Autozone when we get married, and will become stuck in a rut and not get an actuarial job for years, if ever. I got off the phone with him and prayed. I prayed that God would look out for us as we get married, that He would provide for us then and now. I told God about my worries that Brandon wouldn't be able to find a job anytime soon.

This afternoon, about three or four hours after this conversation with God, Brandon called me from work and said that the company that he had talked to months ago had just called him. I felt my spirits lift, thinking surely this couldn't be true. He went on to say that they had a job opening and they were offering it to him. This fall. He sounded so excited that I went ahead and got excited too. Then he said "But I told them no because of my schedule this fall."
I can't recall a time where I have felt such an emotional high and an emotional low in such a short span of time. I started to cry (I'm a crier. Sorry.) I felt really let down by a lot of people. Brandon, for not taking any of the tests and not looking for internships sooner (not his fault, but hey, I was upset). The company for not calling him until it was way too late to do anything about his school schedule this fall. And I was really, really upset with God. I think I still might be, a little bit. It's like, if you told a kid that you got him a pony for Christmas, after he had talked about it for months. And as soon as you saw his face light up, you said "but then I had to take it back. So no Christmas for you." It hurt my feelings.

So I guess this is a multi-level prayer request. Please pray for Brandon, and this job situation, as I feel sometimes like our entire future is riding on this one little thing, right now, this minute. And please pray for me, that I will not only have the patience and emotional fortitude to last till next semester, when the next possible opportunity might arise, but that I will also have the right attitude about all this and have an easier time relying on God in this matter. It's tough. Really tough. Especially for a natural-born worrier (that would be me).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying for you! I could definately relate to alot of what you shared! I am a worrier and have a hard time letting go and letting God, I also and I good one for getting angry at God. It is tough but something you learn gradually I think, Andrew has always had this amazing faith and trust in God and I am slowly learning from him. Email me if you need to talk, I am a world expert on worring and know that sometime sharing with a person not involved can help.
take care!
Blessings

Briana McCall said...

jessi! God will provide in HIS timing! Just do what you are supposed to be doing now & do the right thing & things will fall into place! (that was very bad grammar sorry) ... I'll definitely be praying for you guys though!!

Anonymous said...

check out my blog something for you