CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 20, 2009

I love toy trains!!!!! hahaha.

Last night was like, the funniest night ever. You know why? Because me and Kelli got to go see Joel McHale. Star of The Soup. Which is pretty much our favorite show.
Kelli got the tickets for my birthday which was awesome, and so last night we headed downtown to the Louisville Palace. The theater was incredible and I would have loved to get pictures of the lobby, the actual theater, etc., but when I turned my camera on, the battery light was orange, and I wanted to be sure I was able to take pics at the meet and greet after the show.
We had great seats. We were almost on the end of the aisle (one seat between us and the aisle, which stayed empty until right before the show, unfortunately). Twenty rows back, or so. The opening act got started like, fifteen minutes late. I didn't think he was very funny. Maybe that's because I was still pretty distracted by my nerves, and maybe it was because he used so much profanity. But I've seen the guy's show ("Web Soup", a non-funny spinoff of The Soup that shows on G4 and contains all these viral videos from like, 4 years ago that VH1 already had on their show WebJunk 20. But I digress). I was pretty disturbed when he announced that he was on this show on Nickelodeon that Brandon's brothers like to watch, Back to the Barnyard. Anyway. Then we had an intermission, which was a bummer, and then Joel came out. It was very exciting as we are huge fans of his and think he is basically the funniest thing on TV. His show was great! I don't want him to leave The Soup, but he really should do more stand-up shows. This seems to be a fairly new thing, or at least they've only been promoting the shows on The Soup this year or so. Anyway. For the first half of the set, he talked about the show a lot, and Ryan Seacrest and the Kardashians and all the people they've made mad on the show (which was really funny). He talked about Louisville a little, and how he say the name of our city like we're too tired to finish the word. He mentioned the UK Wildcats and most of the crowd went crazy, but when someone in the front row shouted something about the U of L Cardinals, he basically hadn't heard of them. Then he asked if they were any good, and of course, most of the crowd said no. Ha! He also said it was pretty dumb that we don't have any professional sports here since we make all the bats for major league baseball, and suggested that we stop giving them bats until they give us a team.
For the second part of the show, Joel talked about his family. This, I think, was the funniest stuff, which shows that he is hilarious without leaning on material from the show. And...his kid is weird. Hilarious but very weird. The stories about his son were some of the best.
After the show ended we went out into the lobby and formed a line for autographs. I had heard that Joel was really great about meeting the fans, but I had no idea he'd be so friendly and gracious. He made sure he had basically a mini-conversation with each person that came up to the table, and even took pictures, which is something most celebrities are not too fond of, I think. I'm sure he was very tired but he didn't complain at all. When he was stepping away from the table to take pictures with the couple in front of us, he turned to me and Kelli and said "the line ends here, sorry". And then he came back to talk to us. He asked our names and shook our hands and asked if we were best friends, and I told him that yes, Kelli was the best best friend because the ticket to the show was my birthday present. He asked if I had just turned 13. And he signed our stuff (ticket stubs and t-shirts, which we originally hadn't planned on getting signed but whatever, we didn't care at this point) and talked to us a little more. And then he took pictures with each of us, made us promise to watch his new show this fall, and said thanks for coming and he'd see us soon. It was so sweet! I was very impressed, and quite a bit starstruck. I can't really remember meeting that many famous people, and it was super cool to get to meet someone of whom I am such a big fan. He said he'd be back in Louisville in ten years or so, but I hope it's sooner than that.
And after getting a tiny bit lost , traveling down a road that ended rather abruptly with no warning at a train track not marked by any kind of signage, and sealing ourselves in the car with the alarm set, I finally got home around midnight. Didn't fall asleep until 1, and of course now I'm pretty tired and I have to go to work. Oh well. I will come home and go to bed early tonight to make up for it.


0 comments: