CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Kleenex, how I love thee, let me count the ways...

A new layout! Very exciting.
So I have decided that I am ready for June to be over, even though that would mean I'm that much closer to going back to school. This is not a very exciting prospect, as I will be taking 18 hours next semester, and basically any time I'm not at school, I'll either be at work, or studying (or writing papers). Anyway. I am ready for June to be over because I am ready for a new work schedule. I think that as everyone else's schedule was changing this month, I got lost in the shuffle and my wants/needs were completely disregarded. I hate changes in routine (I lack some kind of coping mechanism, I think) and this one is relatively drastic, compared to the schedule I've had for...the past year and a half, I guess. I'm working all my hours four days in a row, first of all. I'm used to only working three long days, spread throughout the week (Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, for instance). I've had Wednesday nights off for as long as I can remember, which was cool because Kelli could come over and hang out and we would watch Ghost Hunters (it's nice to spend time with her once a week because we went to high school together and for several years, we'd see each other seven hours a day, five days a week). Now I work Monday mornings while Brandon is off (he works Monday nights), Tuesday nights (Brandon works all day), Wednesday almost all day (until nine, too late to see Kelli), and Thursday afternoons (again, Brandon is at work). In addition to this schedule, this week- the first week I'm working these hours- apparently I am going to a wedding Friday night, meaning I don't see Kelli, and Saturday I am hosting a yard sale in my driveway. Poor Brandon. Last night he said "well I guess I'll just move to Alaska because I would see you just as much then as I do now". I feel bad for him. I feel bad for me. But I'll get over it. We are going on vacation at the end of the month and I'll have a week and a half off from the madhouse that is the library in summer time.
Just so you know that I'm not kidding about that last part, I'll have you know that most other times during the year we have anywhere between 500 and 700 patrons visit us each day- this is assuming our door counter works correctly. During the summer, so far we are not at all surprised if we have 1200 people come in. Also parents frequently decide it's perfectly acceptable to abandon their children at the library (I was unaware that my nametag said "Jessi, Customer Service, Baby-Sitter), etc. The place is a mess, and the mess is compounded by the fact that we only have one page at the moment. A page is the person who shelves the books. We are supposed to have three. One is on extended sick leave due to cancer treatments, and she probably won't be back. The other, who only worked there for six months, quit two weeks before our Summer Reading Program began, allegedly because she just wanted to have fun this summer (she recently graduated high school). And the icing on the proverbial cake, the entire city government has been under a hiring freeze for a while now, and rumor has it, the freeze will continue now that the mayor's new budget has been set.
The ladies of my branch would probably appreciate your prayers during this busy, stressful, hair-pulling time. There are moments when I think we are very near the brink of insanity and eventually someone's going to beat someone else up. Maybe. Perhaps.

0 comments: