CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

I fell in love with a grocery store.

I had a fairly exciting day...
This morning we had a yard sale. For the past several years I have been...required to sit outside with my great-aunt and sell my parents' stuff. Despite spraying myself twice with sunblock, I am pretty badly burned (for some reason, just on the right side of my body). And it was very overcast, albeit hot, today. Anyway. I put a bunch of my stuff out for sale and was hoping to make enough to buy a new pair of glasses, or at least pay for a significant portion of them, as I'm trying to save money for vacation. Sadly, I only earned about $13. And I had dad buy a television for Brandon at another yard sale (which I have since found out was a really stupid thing do to, as implied by the fact that Brandon didn't sound very excited about it, and continues to mainly sound frustrated, even though he's been jokingly asking me to buy him one for a while) for $15. So technically I'm in the hole.
Anyway, Kelli came and sat with me most of the day, for which I was grateful. She is burned too. Unlike me, she was not surprised by this. Afterwards we planned to go to World Market, which is an amazing store (I like random collections of international food). We ended up going to this neat little Asian grocery store on the way, where I bought not only a mango-flavored Hello Kitty drink, but two boxes of animal crackers. Only instead of being shaped like lions, tigers, and bears (oh my), they were shaped like Kitty and her family. It was very exciting (it does not take much to amuse me, apparently). Then at World Market we found several very exciting things, and I got a little thing of lemon curd (sounds disgusting, actually delicious), some sticky rice, and three bottles of water. They were in exciting containers and were from Norway, Wales, and..somewhere else, I don't recall. The packaging was neat. And Kelli and I love bottled water.
After purchasing shopping baskets full of interesting-looking water, we headed to Whole Foods Market. I have never actually been in there before but it's where they shop on Top Chef, and I absolutely love that show. I was wowed, to say the least. I am a person who likes food. I like reading about it, cooking it, tasting it, and watching it on TV. There was a lot of food here and it was much more exciting than any grocery I have ever been in. The cheese section alone was awe-inspiring. I got some edamame and MADE MY OWN PEANUT BUTTER. Yes, apparently you can do that. It's like those coffee grinders where you pick the beans and then put the end product in the little baggie, only a million times better. Trying the big, growling, grinding machine was intimidating, but Kelli and I each bought a little container of honey-roasted peanut butter and I must tell you that it's quite delicious. I am looking forward to eating it on crackers or something at a later date.
So despite having one beet red and stinging shoulder (that would be the sunburn- I haven't contracted some horrible disease. I don't think...) I am pretty content with my day. It was fun. And I hope to be financially stable and blessed with a large grocery budget in the future so I can join the elite in purchasing my pancake/waffle batter in a convenient air cheese-style can (yes, they had that, too.)

0 comments: