CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 16, 2008

Help!

I just realized that I have nothing to read on vacation.

I have this marriage book that I plan on taking, but that's no fun. I mean, it might be, but even if it is, it's not enough.

Do you have any recommendations? Here's a messy description of what I like.

*Fantasy novels, but nothing heavy. Neil Gaiman is pretty good. Think like Willow, or the Princess Bride. Not Sci-fi, zooming around in space ships kind of stuff.

*Love stories, but nothing like "romance novels" or sappy, fluffy stuff. I prefer books where there's a love story but it's secondary, or it's not really the focus of the story but it's still good and still important, like Sarah Dessen's books, or Meg Cabot before she got boring (or I grew up. Whichever.)

*Biographies

*Harry Potter (have yet to find something comparable. And if you recommend something, chances are I've read a recommendation for that book already and tried to read it but didn't like it. No offense)

*The Great Gatsby and Jane Eyre are my favorite so-called "classics".

Also, I have read everything by Jodi Picoult (by the way, if you haven't read her stuff, do it. Read "My Sister's Keeper" first) and liked about half of her books, and all the hilarious Georgia Nicolson books by Louise Rennison. Funny things are good. Very good. Actually I prefer humor over all other genres, I suppose. Particularly British novels with hilarious, self-deprecating characters (see Louise Rennison).
And one thing I hate: all those generic Christian fiction books with the concerned-looking women on the cover that are so alike you can pretty much switch the authors' names around and you wouldn't know the difference (Beverly Lewis, T. Davis Bunn, Janette Oke, etc.). Particularly the Amish ones. I don't know why, but I just can't stand these books! I find them boring and predictable. Which is sad, because I wish I liked them. Now that I think about it, the only author of "Christian fiction" I can think of that I always enjoy is Frank Peretti.

Anyway. If you have any suggestions, please, feel free to share them!

3 comments:

Briana McCall said...

Right now I am reading the Redemption series by Karen Kingsbury! You can find it in the media resource center at church!!!

Karen said...

I thought about getting you a copy of Beautiful in God's Eyes by Elizabeth George. It's a great book but I think you'd group it with your "marriage" book. I just finished "the book of hours" and it was good. You can take a look at it if you want. I've got about 20 books that I'm taking.

Anonymous said...

Try Phillipa Gregory, she writes great historical fiction, I like her tutor series best. Another book that might fall into the marriage book catagory is Stepping Heavenward, but it is a really good read!!