CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Lime Pie

Hey-o. I made pie yesterday. I was going to make two: make one, try it out, then make another today and take it to Brandon's. But I got frustrated a couple of times making yesterday's pie and decided not to make another one today. Anyway, I hear the pie is really good (it wasn't frozen enough last night and I didn't want to have any before work this morning.) So I decided to share the recipe with you, even though it isn't my recipe.

You will need:

  • 1 pre-made graham cracker crust (I found one from Keebler, I think, that was extra big. "Two extra servings!" it said. Go with this if you can find it.)

For the filling:
  • 6 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature (separate them while they're cold!)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
  • 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 to 5 limes)
For the topping:
  • 2 cups cold heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • Thin lime wedges
Beat the egg yolks with the sugar on high speed for 5 minutes, until thick. With the mixer on medium speed, add the condensed milk, lime zest, and lime juice. Pour into the pie shell and freeze for a few hours, until firm.
To make the topping, beat the cream on high speed (or with a whisk, but this will take a loooong time) until soft peaks form when the beaters are pulled away. Add the sugar and the vanilla and beat until firm. Spoon or pipe onto the pie and top with very thin lime wedges (if you want.) Freeze overnight.

This recipe comes from Ina Garten, of Food Network. But I doubled the recipe for the whipped cream because it didn't make enough to cover the entire pie. If you use a smaller pie shell, you will have too much filling. So I improvised a little. Bigger pie crust, more whipped cream, and supposedly, two extra slices of pie. We'll see how that works out. Also she calls this "frozen key lime pie" but it's not made with key limes, which come from the Florida Keys. So...it's Mexican Lime Pie, technically, since the limes I got came from Mexico. If they were Kentucky limes I could call it Local Lime Pie. You get the idea.

And finally, yes, this pie contains raw eggs, but as long as you aren't pregnant, very young or very old, and don't have a compromised immune system, it's no big deal. Just don't make a habit of eating handfuls of raw eggs every day, I guess.

0 comments: