CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 20, 2009

My school smells like sewage. No, really.

I am at school. It's lame.
I guess being here is better than being at home pondering what I would do about health insurance.

I have three classes today. The first was at 9:25 this morning. It's my senior seminar, which is going to consist of sitting around discussing controversial topics. We have to write two papers. And at the end of the semester, for our final, we write another paper. We will come in to the classroom, he will give us a topic, and we will write for a while. That's it. We have a schedule of the topics we will be discussing, and a student will have to lead the discussion for each topic. I got to choose second, out of 18. Guess which topic I chose? Bingo! Abortion. I'm looking forward to the debate, even though it's in November.

That class ended at 10:40. My next class isn't until 1:40- a three hour break! Ugh. I've already nearly run out of things to do and I have another hour and a half before I will even start walking to my class (which is just downstairs from where I am now. And where I am now is down the hall from my first class.) That class will be my theology elective, "Christian Marriage". It should be interesting, since I am a Christian and I will be getting married soon. There aren't a ton of married students here, and most of them aren't Christian. I mean, there are more Catholic students than one would probably expect, since this is a traditionally Catholic school, but for the most part, students I've overheard, or who have voiced their opinions in class, are pretty indifferent about the subject of religion. Many are downright hostile. This is one of the reasons I hate school. I wonder how many people will be in this class, since it's upper level and it's a theology course.

That class ends at 2:55. I hope we get out early. I am going to go home for a little bit, because it's another three hours until my last class of the day, which starts at 6 p.m. That's only on Thursday nights, and it's a 400-level political science course, "Liberalism vs. Conservatism". Except for the fact that it's school, and it's at night, I'm looking forward to it. It's taught by my advisor, who is really awesome and funny. He occasionally brings us candy, and the only exams we have are papers. Last semester our three exams were portions of our final paper, and for the final we put them all together and gave brief presentations to the class. We brought food- we set up a taco bar and some people (myself included) brought desserts. The professor's contribution was several bags of oddly-flavored Doritos (like "midnight snack taco something-or-other") and some candy. He sometimes splits the class up into groups and we have "discussions" which are often highly amusing. This helps, since the class is two and a half hours long.

My only other class is a Tuesday night course (6:00-8:30), "The Roaring Twenties and the Great Depression", with another one of my favorite professors. While he doesn't bring us food, we do listen to music and watch movies and stuff. He also raps and makes up parody songs. My favorite is set to the tune of "Mellow Yellow", and is about the War Amendments. Last semester I took a class with him entitled "Race Relations and Civil Rights", and we listened to a few Public Enemy songs. And in a Latin American history course I took with him, we watched a few episodes of the Travel Channel's "No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain" (who is awesome) that took place in Latin America. I like reading literature set in the Roaring Twenties (the Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books) AND the Great Depression, so I think that class will be interesting as well.

I guess coming back here isn't so bad after all. Sure, if I stay the whole semester it'll put me another $8000 in debt. Sure I'll have a lot of work to do, and sure the parking lot is too crowded. Sure there are way too many stupid freshmen wandering around, and yeah, the cafe area is insanely busy now they decided to have real food like Pizza Hut and Einstein Bros. Bagels. But it's better than going to a new school. I know all but one of my professors. The topics of my classes will be interesting, and I only have to go to school two days a week (all my classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays.) So I guess I can cope. Probably. Eventually I need to buy my school books, though. Still don't have those yet...I'm trying to wait just a little bit to find out if my aid appeal gets approved. No point in having the books if I'm not going to be able to stay, right? Right.

There really was no point to this post. I just needed something to do. I've run out of things to do on facebook, I read all the interesting articles on the news website I frequently check, and...I'm bored. And it's another hour and twenty five minutes until my next class. I'm ready for a nap.

1 comments:

Karen said...

I thought all three classes sounded interesting. If I had an extra 8000, I might join you. Have fun!