CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 27, 2008

Happy 100th blog post to me...

This is my 100th post. It is tradition, I hear, to post 100 things about oneself when you reach your 100th post. So I will attempt to do just that. Forgive me if I bore you. I'm really doing this for my own amusement rather than to divulge some great universal truth, or a secret recipe for amazing cookies, or any of the other noble and good things one could share on a blog.

Here goes nothing....

1. I used to tell people that I was named after Jessica Rabbit (of Who Framed Roger Rabbit). I very seriously doubt this is true.
2. One time I sent a letter to the newspaper under a fake name.
3. It got published.
4. I once had a pet pig named Beethoven. He was not particularly friendly. Also pigs are not soft and cuddly as Charlotte's Web would lead you to believe.
5. I don't know how to swim.
6. I'm not really sure why I like Hello Kitty so much, as I generally despise cats.
7. My dog has a lobster costume and a bee costume.
8. I collect walruses. Not real ones, unfortunately.
9. I think it'd be really cool to have a pet walrus. And put a saddle on it and ride it into town.
10. I don't like donuts.
11. Also, English muffins seriously gross me out.
12. And Danishes. I can't even say the word "Danish" in reference to a pastry without feeling a little nauseous.
13. When Tony Blair was in office, I liked watching the British House of Commons on C-Span.
14. Gordon Brown hasn't been nearly as entertaining, sadly.
15. I think To Catch A Predator is both one of the most entertaining and one of the saddest things on television.
16. My interests in Shakespearean poetry were sparked when I heard Alan Rickman reading Sonnet 23.
17. I am very afraid of tornadoes.
18. Also house fires.
19. And bees.
20. I dropped my German class because I have extreme difficulty thinking in other languages. This includes math.
21. I have only ever lost one spelling bee. The word I was given was mispronounced and the judge was from a competing school.
22. The winner's word was "jaguar".
23. I'm still a little bitter about this.
24. Last semester I had a Jewish professor.
25. This is the first time I have known an openly Jewish person.
26. Al Gore really annoys me.
27. I think hot dogs are gross but they are pretty good with melted cheese and sauteed onions.
28. Though I work at a library and I am a bit of a nerd, I don't really read a lot. It's mainly the same books over and over.
29. My reading habit is something I inherited from my mom.
30. Unlike her, I have never made the decision to read at a stoplight.
31. I love English accents.
32. Also Scottish.
33. Brandon really likes Mr. Bean, and I think this is cute.
34. If I could make a living out of giving people presents, I would.
35. I have boxes of greeting cards, tissue, bows, ribbon, gift bags, and wrapping paper in preparation for these occasions.
36. I really miss Steve Irwin and I'm not quite sure why.
37. I have old pictures of Barry Manilow on my bedroom door.
38. Between that, the Star Wars posters, and the David Bowie albums, if you didn't know any better you might think it was 1977 in my room.
39. This greatly amused one of my favorite teachers, as she too had David Bowie on her walls as a teenager.
40. I don't miss high school. Rather, I miss the way some people used to be, and I miss getting to see my friends every day.
41. I also miss prayer requests in class.
42. And debates in senior Bible class. But that's it.
43. My senior year I got to play Eliza Doolittle in our spring play.
44. This is the most proud I have ever been of myself, one of the best experiences of my life, and I still smile thinking about it
45. One time I told my dad to go away when he came in my room to read me The Hobbit.
46. I felt bad about that for years.
47. I think that the only book I ever really read for classes in high school was Jane Eyre. And frankly I'm surprised I graduated.
48. I like old game shows.
49. Me and my dad used to watch Match Game when we were convalescing after our surgeries. It was cool.
50. When I was little my mom told me that if I chewed up a Vitamin C drop, my teeth would be stuck together forever.
51. I still don't chew cough drops. And my mom is a liar. Ha!
52. Sometimes I wish I were a multimillionaire so I could provide Louisville with better libraries and museums.
53. I am totally not making that up.
54. If we had the money to donate, Brandon would have a Tasmanian devil exhibit added to the Australian section of the zoo, and I would add a walrus exhibit complete with show.
55. Also I might buy a penguin. For me.
56. I love shows about cooking competitions.
57. Top Chef is my favorite.
58. My history professor kind of reminds me of Anthony Bourdain.
59. I have seen the Lord of the Rings movies more times that I can count.
60. I cried more times during the season 4 finale of LOST than I have during anything else that's on television. And Brandon thought this was funny.
61. I probably watch too much TV.
62. But I make up for it by reading, too.
63. Odd Thomas is my new favorite literary character.
64. Excluding anyone in the Harry Potter series.
65. And Aslan.
66. Whenever I go to Brandon's house for dinner I keep my fingers crossed that they will be having mashed potatoes. Because their mashed potatoes are AMAZING.
67. Also when he had leftover sweet potato casserole one week I about died. I am considering having him tell them that's what I want for Christmas.
68. Starchy foods rock my world.
69. When I grow up I want to have like, six kids.
70. Actually I want to adopt most of them. It makes me sad that some countries look down on baby girls just because they're girls. It's something I feel pretty passionately about.
71. Brandon is a bit lacking in the passion department when it comes to this subject.
72. Along with my engagement ring, he gave me a Hello Kitty dvd for my 19th birthday.
73. It was pretty awful. The dvd, I mean. Not the birthday.
74. Actually I was pretty sick that day. But it was still the best birthday I've ever had.
75. Though I am greatly looking forward to making a home with Brandon, I think I will really miss my room. I've been in it a long time.
76. My room is purple. Before that it was gray. It was quite a change.
77. I really appreciated the change that this new paint brought, though, because at the time I was going through a lot of changes myself. The purple paint made me feel like I was living in a different place, and this, I feel, helped me move on during these changes.
78. Sometimes I miss the spontaneity my life used to have.
79. I have probably consumed several hundred dollars worth of free lattes in my lifetime.
80. Once I had to kiss a friend as a part of a mandatory audition for a play.
81. It was weird.
82. I didn't get the part.
83. I hate writing with pencils. I would be happy to never own a pencil again.
84. I don't drink, not just because I'm not 21 and it's stupid, but I don't like doing things that are probably going to make me barf and/or wreck a vehicle.
85. I like making lists.
86. Currently I am the tannest that I have ever been in my life. And that's pretty sad, according to some people.
87. Once my best friend said that she was so pale she has to go to the tanning bed to keep from going clear.
88. I'm determined to live until the American tricentennial.
89. Assuming this country still exists by then.
90. I probably have more than one cavity. In my teeth.
91. I hate math.
92. I've ridden in an ambulance before.
93. I acted out Jurassic Park on senior retreat.
94. I also won the name that tune competition. Partly because I had recently seen a few specials like "100 greatest one hit wonders" on vh1.
95. And in 12th grade I got the Drama award. it would sound better if they called it the "theater" award, or the "acting" award.
96. To be completely fair, there are many times in my life where I've deserved a "drama" award. 97. My topic for a science project one year was "Is there a taste difference between butter and margarine?"
98. It was every bit as exciting as it sounds.
99. There is a tiny koala hanging from my bulletin board.
100. It is not a real koala. I'm 98% sure.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Congratulations, baby! Good stuff. (although I suspect that walruses are no more cuddly and soft than pigs.) love you!

Angela Baylis said...

Hey, Jessi! I am your mom's friend, Angie from Michigan. I LOVED your 100 things! I think everyone needs to do a list. I learned SO much about you. Your parents are probably SO proud of you! I'd love to see a picture of your bedroom. I graduated in 1980, so I'd appreciate seeing it! By the way, I used to have a purple room with purple shag carpet and purple walls! I agree that a color can change everything! Thanks for taking the time to do this awesome post!
Love,
Angie xoxo

Anonymous said...

Congrats on reaching 100!! Bethany and I enjoyed the list :)
Loved the Australia references!!

annette said...

I love your list. Congratulations on 100. Happy Anniversary! You write some interesting randomness. Your mom let me know you were celebrating. Happy blogaversary. Love, Annette