CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fun times in the Ville.

Well, that was interesting.
We came back from lunch on Sunday to find that the power was out in our house. So off I went to Brandon's, and I was quite happy to find that they had power there, although I had to take a detour and have him pick me up at the mall due to a downed power line. About an hour into our thoroughly exciting movie, though, their power went out, too. I got home around five, and...I don't really remember what we did the rest of the night, but listen to the radio.
Hurricane Ike came through Louisville, minus the rain (which is what we really needed). A few people died, including a ten year old boy who was out mowing the grass when a tree limb hit him. At the height of the chaos, about an eighth of all residents in Kentucky were without power. There have been more than 5,000 reported downed power lines in our city, and a few hundred cracked telephone poles. Our neighborhood sustained some pretty bad damage from fallen trees, but nothing really happened on our street, thankfully. Many grocery stores and gas stations remained closed, so things could get a lot worse. I know most of the ladies I work with are still without power (ours came on around 1030 last night!). Nine out of the sixteen libraries were completely without power yesterday, yet everyone still had to come in at work. I got to go home after about an hour and have a hot meal out at Mammaw's, but I had to take vacation time. Poo.
Anyway. Please keep our state in your prayers. They have said that it could be up to two weeks for everyone to have power, and the schools will probably be out the rest of the week. I don't know if Bellarmine was damaged but we were out yesterday and today (that I didn't mind so much. Actually I hope we're out the rest of the week, because I'm supposed to have a map quiz on Friday). Speaking of school, I am thinking about transferring to a local Christian college. But that is another story for another time. Right now I have a lot of stuff to do that I haven't been able to because of the power outage.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Ha! Have you cleaned your room? And would you like to vacuum the living room? And what are you fixing for dinner? I'm hungry!

Briana McCall said...

The sad thing about that little boy that died ... my mom said it was around noon on Sunday. He should have been at church on a Sunday morning/afternoon ... sad thing to think about :(