CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 31, 2009

This kind of turned into a review.

Two more days! Less than 48 hours, actually. It's bananas. Yesterday mom and I went and had our nails done, and today I got a pedicure, which was quite wonderful, except it was cold and I had to wear flip flops. We also picked up lunch from a relatively new restaurant in the area, and it was horrible. I am thinking of starting a (non-earning) career as a restaurant reviewer so I have an excuse to tell you how bad it was. Calistoga Artisan Sandwiches looked exciting. It sounded good. They are a deli-ish restaurant that apparently has fresh baked bread, much like other restaurants that I like, such as Panera. The menu featured exciting pictures of all sorts of sandwiches, salads, and even waffles. They even use aioli on their sandwiches! People who use aioli impress me. We got inside and there were hardly any customers sitting and eating. They didn't have one kind of soup that my dad wanted, even though it was on the menu- they don't serve it anymore. I ordered the chicken salad sandwich (with lettuce, tomato, and mayo on fresh made wheatberry bread) and a cup of chicken tortilla soup. I love chicken salad and have a goal of trying every chicken salad in the city. I also love the chicken tortilla soup at McAlister's, and was expecting something relatively similar. I was quite disappointed in my meal. The soup was very dark and looked greasy. It didn't taste like any tortilla soup I've ever had. It actually tasted like chili. The canned kind. It was warm and tomato-y, with a hint of beef? Very strange. It also came complete with soggy, mushy tortilla strips on top. It wasn't spicy- it had no kick to it at all. The sandwich was nothing special. The bread was good tasting, but come to think of it, it tasted just like the wheat bread you can get with the chicken salad at Arby's. Which is fast food. I think this takes away a few points from Calistoga. In addition, the chicken salad itself was dry and very processed tasting, consisting of little dressing and extremely finely shredded chicken. I have had comparable salad from grocery store salad bars. The salad was scooped onto the bread with one of those perfectly round scoops like lunch ladies use, and I'd say about 30% of the bread had nothing on it but the lettuce leaf. All in all it was extremely disappointing, but it was a learning experience. We now know that we never want to eat there again (mom didn't eat much of her sandwich, and dad hardly touched his, which may be because they put mustard on it even though mom told the guy three times not to.)


Looks like fake food, tastes like fake food

Anyway, since tomorrow will be extremely busy, and then tomorrow night is the rehearsal, and then the next day is the wedding, I don't think there's much of a chance of me getting back on here before the wedding. So I will now announce that I will cease to post on this blog, and when we get back, we will start a family blog (me, Brandon, and the guinea pig we don't have yet) at Me and Mr. Jones (haha, get it? Like the song, except not about what the song's about.)

See you there, and wish us luck for this weekend!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!! Enjoy every moment!!!