CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 25, 2009

Odobenus Rosmarus.

Howdy, and Merry Christmas. May I just say that I am already hungry again. I am trying to resist eating my leftover creampuff from lunch, though, because we will be having chik-fil-a chicken nuggets at my aunt's house in about an hour.

Christmas has been interesting so far. I kind of assumed that I would be moody, since this is my last Christmas at home, but everything's been pretty fine. Dad has a stomach bug so for the first time in the history of forever, he did not go out to Mammaw and Pappaw's for lunch.

So last night, I got off work at 5 and we went to church, which was interesting. It wasn't as touching as the last two years' sermons, to be honest. It was pretty weird. But it was still ok. Then we went home, ate dinner, and Brandon came over and we opened presents as a family. After Brandon went home, I got ready for bed and straightened up my room a bit. Miraculously, I actually slept through most of the night. Granted, I didn't fall asleep until almost midnight, and I woke up around five the first time, but that is actually way better than I've been sleeping lately. This morning we discovered dad wasn't feeling well, and then Mimi and Pappaw (my mom's parents) came over and we opened gifts and ate breakfast. Breakfast was really good this year. Mom always make sausage balls, and dad always makes a pumpkin roll, but we also had mini Cinnabons this year, and they were fab. Mini cinnabons are about the size as regular cinnamon rolls. In case you aren't aware, a normal-sized Cinnabon has more than 900 calories. Disturbing, isn't it?
After messing with our presents for a while, Mimi and Pappaw went home, and the mom, Jonathan and I headed out to Mammaw's for lunch. It is a Meredith family tradition to have fried oysters for Christmas lunch. So I had about four of those, and lots of Mammaw's potato salad (which is AMAZING) and there was cole slaw and rolls and oyster crackers and homemade hush puppies. Oh, mylanta. I was so full I did not eat my creampuff for dessert. And that like, never happens. Then we had present time, which was fun. I am an opponent of people listing everything they got for Christmas on blogs and facebook, because I think it's really tacky. It implies that you want everyone to know what you got, and you want to compare with other people. That's not what Christmas is all about. I usually just say that my family got me some wonderful things and for that I'm very grateful, but I will say one thing I got for Christmas this year, because it was so different and awesome. As many people are aware, I love walruses. So does Kelli. We collect them. This is kind of hard to do, since there isn't a big market for walrus things out there. My aunt gave myself and Brandon a box of animal themed presents, and in there was a bag from the World Wildlife Fund, containing a stuffed walrus and a piece of paper saying that a "walrus" had been adopted in my name. The money from that goes specifically to the conservation of walruses (populations have shrunk quite a bit in the last few years), and I got a nice picture of a walrus, to boot. I made the comment that it would be fun to write letters to my walrus, much in the same way that one would write to a sponsor child, and of course, when I sent Kelli a text message telling her about this gift, she pretty much said the same thing. Great minds think alike!

After presents and everything, my aunt, cousin, and her husband followed me over to the apartment so they could see it, which was fun. And now we are waiting to go to her house (my aunt's, that is) for dinner over there. Chicken nuggets, chips and dip, rolls, her version of potato salad (very good) and lots of goodies for dessert. Brandon will pick me up from there and we'll go to his house to visit for a while, and then he'll bring me back home. And then tomorrow, it's back to cleaning and packing and planning and preparing and such. The wedding is one week and one day away! It's bananas. I really don't know what I'm going to do with myself.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas, and continues to do so the rest of the day!


0 comments: